Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wrassle-Palooza: Hulk Hogan - Hulk Rules


Saying your prayers and eating your vitamins will not save this album...brother...



Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, Rave Up Music is proud to present to you its first ever month-long celebration of music and professional wrestling that we call “WRASSLE-PALOOZA!”

Greetings everyone! Barius here, and if you could not guess already, I am a pretty big fan of professional wrestling. I have been watching wrestling since 1991, when I saw my first pay-per-view on TV, then-known as World Wrestling Federation’s Summerslam event. I originally started watching because my brother watched, but slowly I grew to love and admire the larger-than-life characters I saw on a weekly basis. Whether it is WWE, WCW, ECW, ROH, Dragon Gate USA, or Chikara Pro, I really do enjoy the various scripted forms of sports entertainment.

On April 6th of this year, the WWE will present its 30th incarnation of its industry-changing event, Wrestlemania! To celebrate this momentous occasion in professional wrestling, we here at Rave Up Music are going to take a look wrestling’s connection to the music by looking at some actual music albums released by some of the biggest names throughout professional wrestling history, and who better to start these reviews off than the man who is perhaps the biggest name ever in professional wrestling? That is right; I am talking about the Immortal Hulk Hogan!


Similar to many young wrestling fans of the 1980s and early 1990s, I was indeed a Hulkamaniac, and it is easy to see why. Hulk Hogan (real name Terry Bollea) presented this larger-than-life persona that many kids wanted to emulate. He was energetic, spoke of never giving up, training hard, eating your vitamins, and saying your prayers. He also represented good American values, battling some of the greatest villains ever. Plus, being a music nerd, his entrance music, “Real American” by Rick Derringer, is still one of the greatest and catchiest songs I have ever heard, and I still kind of geek out whenever I hear it.

Try getting that main guitar riff out of your head…

Today, I will admit that my admiration for the Hulkster has waned a bit over the last few years. He is somewhat of a shell of his former self, and his personal life has become thing of headlines over on TMZ. Still, the character I grew up watching, being both the American hero and the lead of the NOW still remains a big part of my childhood, including a very odd music album that Hulk released in 1995, entitled  Hulk Rules.

Hogan can multi-task by playing bass guitar and ride a motorcycle at the same time…

Believe it or not, before Hogan was the wrestling legend he is today, he was a bass guitar player in a few groups throughout Florida. The music career was put to the side for wrestling, but Hogan would return music after being inspired to write a song as a tribute to a young fan in the United Kingdom who passed away before he could see Hulk wrestle live. From here, Hulk collaborated with long time friend and fellow wrestling personality Jimmy Hart, musician J.J. Macguire, and his then-wife Linda to form the Wrestling Boot Band, and release Hulk Rules in 1995 on Select Records, the same record label that brought as the comedy groups The Jerky Boys, Kids ‘N Play, and a few solo albums from the members of the Wu-Tang Clan. This album made the top ten of the Billboard’s children albums charts, despite incredible negative criticism from music reviewers.

As a kid, I actually owned this album. Heck, I am actually looking at it right now as a write this review. And, I can say without any hint of cynicism in my voice: this is a REALLY bad music album, whether it is intended for children, adults, or a general music listening audience. How bad is it? Well, for the ten of you in attendance, for the couple of hundred of you reading this around the world, let’s get ready to rumble!!! This is Wrassle-Palooza: Hulk Hogan – Hulk Rules!


ALBUM COVER:


Wow, just look at the cover. There is nothing that would make a kid to want to buy this album more than the image of Hulk Hogan with a constipated look on his face. Although, judging by the position that Hogan is doing on the cover, it look Hogan is about to go Number 2 on the American flag. A Real American Hero, ladies and gentlemen; dropping a load on a cherished American symbol! Honestly, even if I were to see this terrible album cover as a kid in 1995, I probably would have bought it simply because Hogan was on the cover. In fact, I did… As an adult in 2014 though, it is just really awkward to look at right now.


SONGS/TRACK LIST:

“Hulkster’s in the House”

The album starts with your standard party rock anthem, and no, I do not mean LMFAO. “Hulkster’s in the House” is the first of many tracks on this album that is written about how super-special-awesome Hogan is. With such ground breaking lyrics like “The Hulkster’s in the House, Check him out! Check him out!” and “When the going gets tough, the tough get rough,” I could have totally seen this one winning the Grammy for Record of the Year in 1996. But sadly, that honor went to Seal for “Kissed from a Rose” off the Batman Forever soundtrack. Oh, such a cruel world we live in when the musical talents of Hulk Hogan are ignored…


“American Made”

The second track was Hogan’s entrance music when he was in World Championship Wrestling, aka WCW. I will admit, this song got me hyped up as a kid to watch Hogan wrestle some of the great wrestlers in WCW. Honestly, it is a very solid, well-written song. The riffs are catchy, the lyrics really create the image of a great, pure American hero, and that guitar solo in the middle of the song really cooks.

The only down side to that song is the fact that it is a COMPLETE RIP-OFF of Hogan’s previous entrance music in WWF(E), “Real American” by Rick Derringer. The main guitar riffs are the similar, the song structure is exactly the same (intro-verse-pre-chorus-chorus-verse-pre-chorus-chorus-guitar solo-pre-chorus-chorus), and the theme about being a true American are exactly the same. This was intentional because Hogan could not use “Real American” since it was licensed out to the WWE. So, when he came to WCW, he and J.J. Maguire wrote this song.

Heck, the similarities between the two songs are pretty obvious that if you go on YouTube, you will find a few mash-ups of the two songs together.

This one here is pretty good…

Regardless of the intended ripping off of the previous theme, in my opinion, “American Made” is the best song on this album, and I would gladly listen to it over and over again, especially mashed up with “Real American.”


“Hulkster’s Back”

You want to know something I thought I would never hear in my life time? Hulk Hogan rapping about how awesome he is. But, we get that with the track, “Hulkster’s Back” (like he actually went away). The main synthesizer riff supporting the song is a bit catchy, and admittedly a bit cheesy, too. This song perfectly captures the music of the 1980s. The only problem with that idea was it was released it the mid-1990s! Heck, the grunge rock scene had pretty much ended and we all moved on to alternative rock music. Plus, the lyrics and female singers backing up Hogan on this track are really annoying! This song is really a pain to listen to.


“Wrestling Boot Traveling Band”

Honestly, this is a bizarre song to feature on an album intended for children. The lyrics are about a guy in a band who is courting a young lady. The musical style of this song feels like something I would hear in the works of Jimmy Buffet. Because when you are marketing an album for kids, having a song that reminds you of “Margaritaville” is the work of a genius.

This song was sung by Jimmy Hart, a professional wrestling manager, who in his own right is a very accomplished musician. He is actually quite a good musician, and I wish he would have done a lot more music on his own. Sadly, I feel like Hart’s talent is kind of wasted on this song. The song feels awkward to listen to, and I bet Jimmy felt a bit awkward singing and playing on it.


“Bad to the Bone”

When I read the title of this track back in 1995, I thought it was going to be a cover of George Thorogood’s classic rock anthem. Boy, was I WAY off on that one. This is a generic rock tune about going on a ride on a Harley motorcycle, because all little kids ride on Harley Davison and Kawasaki bikes. Though I think Jimmy Hart sounds great on here, the song is kind of bland to listening to and there is not really anything to say about it.


“I Want to Be a Hulkamaniac”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-GDy65ZYsI
(Follow Link to Video)

This is just a weird song. The recurring chorus is annoying, and it will get stuck in your head. Hulk is rapping again, this time about what you need to do to be a Hulkamaniac. The lyrics are a bit uncomfortable to listen to knowing Hogan’s personal life in the last several years. Two of the lines in the lyrics are as followed:

Always be good to your family and friends,
They’re the only ones who will be there in the end.

Yeah, if there are any of you do not know this by now, Hogan and his wife Linda and divorced. His son was jailed for a brief period time for driving under the influence and crashing his car, leaving his friend paralyzed. And then, there is Hogan’s daughter Brooke…well, I will get to her another time…Also, there are other things about Hogan that I will not go into details on here because this is a semi-“PG” rated blog.

The point is that while the message of the song is a good one, the people performing it may not exactly follow that message. But, back in 1995, it did not matter since the image of Hulkamania was so big that we did not care that the people telling it to us were not being true to the message. But, listening to it now in hindsight, I really do feel weird about this song.


“Beach Patrol”

Whenever a song starts off with a record scratching sound, it means one of two things: You are going to hear a rap song, or a cover of the Fat Albert theme. But, knowing that this is a Hulk Hogan music album, it is a very bad rap song. The song is just nonsensical, and really I have no idea why I should even care about this Beach Patrol. Plus, having Hogan say the phrase, “Whoop! There it is,” just makes me cringe. If I never hear that again for the rest of my life, I will be a very happy man.


“Hulk’s The One”

You know, reviewing this album nearly twenty years after it was released makes it really hard to not point out the irony in a song like this one. “Hulk’s the One” which I believe is sung by Hogan’s ex-wife Linda Bollea, is a song about how Hulk’s the only man for Linda, even if he is a bad boy and no good for her. Yes, Hogan’s ex-wife, singing about Hulk’s the only man for her, even though she divorced him…

Anyway, knowing that about the personal lives of the Hogans/Bolleas makes this a very hard song to listen to. It is a love ballad out of the 1980s, and it has some really questionable lyrics that I really do not feel comfortable discussing about since, again, this is an album intended for children! I think I am just going to go onto the next song.


“Hulkster in Heaven”
(Follow Link to Video)

We finally get to the song that inspired Hulk Hogan to write this album. As mentioned in the introduction to this review, this song was inspired by a young fan of Hogan’s who passed away from a terminal disease. This ballad is a bit cheesy, with its synthesized brass hits and strings. But I really cannot really be too critical on this one since it is about a little kid who died from an illness. All I am going to say just check out the song for yourself. Trust me, it is worth it.


“Hulk Rules”

After a ballad about dying young fan, the album ends with a song that is designed to stroke the ego of Hulk Hogan. I am not sure if this song is a hard rock song or a really bad hair metal tune, but it is really hard to listen to. The song follows the theme of most of the songs on this album about how great Hogan is. The music is really atrocious to listen to. Plus, that saxophone solo near the end of the song really makes my ears bleed. As a saxophonist myself, I am deeply offended by that performance and if the inventor of the saxophone, Adolph Sax, heard that solo, he would of slap the performer in their face, and tell them to never play the saxophone ever again.


OVERALL IMPRESSION:

Back in 1995, I was a very proud Hulkamaniac who bought Hulk Rules since it was by one of my heroes. Now, as an adult, I feel very embarrassed, not only for myself for buying this garbage, but also for Hogan and everyone else involved in producing it. Very rarely do I find an album by an artist where I can find something enjoyable on it, even if it only a few songs on it. But, that is not the case with Hulk Rules. This is one of Hogan’s most poorly executed ventures. It is as bad as his restaurant “Pastamania,” that close only after a year of operations.

“What’cha gonna do when Pastamania makes spaghetti and ravioli for you?”

Almost every song on here it poorly executed, and feel like they are not fully developed songs.
Nearly every song praises the god that is Hogan, and how he can do no wrong. The only song I actually enjoyed on the album was “American Made” and that is because I knew the song in advance before I bought the album. Plus, it really does rip-off “Real American.”

One of the biggest problems with Hulk Rules is that it has no set musical tone. Some songs are rock songs, some are rap song, some are really poor throwbacks to the 80s pop scene, one is a poor man’s attempt at Jimmy Buffet, and one is very odd ballad about a dying Hulkamaniac. The lyrics on the album have so many themes and ideas to them that I cannot pinpoint who this album’s target audience is. Is the album for kids, adults, wrestling fans, or non-wrestling fans? It is not clear at all.

If there is one word that describes this album, it would be “awkward.” It is awkward for the audience to listening to, it awkward for the musicians to perform, and it is awkward in its presentation. Heck, this album so awkward that would rather go watch Hogan’s performance in Mr. Nanny one hundred times on a continuous loop instead of listening to this album over and over again.


Overall, I can only recommend downloading “American Made” off of iTunes instead of purchasing Hulk Rules. It is badly produced, has under-developed songs, and it is really is more of a quick-buck for Hogan and company than an actually legitimate attempt for Hogan to have a music career. Hogan, I loved you as a wrestler/sports entertainer, so please just stick to that, and I will forget Hulk Rules even existed.


Well, that brings us to the end of the first review of Wrassle-Palooza here at Rave Up Music. Join us next week as we take a look at an album from one of Hogan’s former friends and greatest rival. Hopefully, it will be a lot better than this hunk of junk. Until then, I am Barius, and I please, keep on rockin’, BROTHER!


NOTE: All material and media featured in this blog are owned by their respected copyright holders, and are only used for purposes of review, commentary and satire under the terms of Fair Use. Please support the official release of all media used in this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment