Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Cover Wars: "Here in My Heart"


VS.
A teen pop icon takes on legendary rockers from Germany...over a ballad...




Guten Tag to all of you Rave Up Music readers! I am your host Barius, and judging by the chimes of the Rathaus-Glockenspiel in Munich, it is not time for the story of Duke Wilhelm V, but for another installment of Cover Wars! For today’s edition of Cover Wars, I am going to take a look at a cover from one of favorite bands of all time, the German hard rock/heavy metal group Scorpions.


Even before I really started exploring and understanding music, I always remembered Scorpions being one of the bands I would love listening to on the radio. Their amazing guitar riffs, incredible drumbeats, and the powerful, yet soulful vocal of Klaus Meine always grabbed my attention, and kept me tuned in until the song was done. Whether it was “Rock You like a Hurricane,” “No One Like You,” Wind of Change,” or “Big City Nights,” the music of Scorpions always seemed to resonant with me.

In 2000, in the middle of my musical growth, Scorpions released the album Moment of Glory. This album was a collaborative effort with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, under the baton of conductor/arranger Christian Kolonovitis. The album featured several classic Scorpions songs with spectacular orchestral arrangements. This album is stunning to listen to, and I highly recommend it to all Scorpions fans, or music fans who love rock music mixed with classical music.

This version of “Wind of Change” is my personal favorite on the album…

When I first picked up the album there was one song on there that I never heard of before: “Here in My Heart,” a ballad that features a duet between Klaus Meine and female vocalist Lyn Liechty. What I did not know at the time was that “Here in My Heart” was a cover song, and not a new Scorpions song. The song was written by American songwriter Diane Warren and recorded back in 1990 by a person I have talked about before on this blog: pop singer Tiffany Darwish.

Um...nice denim dress, Tiff...

Tiffany’s version of “Here in My Heart” appeared on her third album, New Inside, which was released in 1990. The album was Tiffany’s first album under a new management, who gave Tiffany a new dance-oriented/R&B sound with an urban influence. This was meant to give her more of an edge to her sound/image in order to disassociate the singer with her previous teen-pop image. However, the album was not a commercial success, and most of the songs were not performed in concert. Most reviews panned the album, with the exception of one song. Critics praised “Here in My Heart,” claiming it to be the direction that Tiffany should go with her music. In fact, “Here in My Heart” is the only song from New Inside to receive a music video treatment.

With it being Tiffany’s only well-received song from her third album, one question remains: it her version really good, or do Scorpions take the song and make it better? Well, that is what we are here today to find out. This is Cover Wars: “Here in My Heart.”


The Original Version:

While looking up information on this song, I discovered that this song was originally dedicated to AIDS victim Ryan White, who died in April 1990, several months before New Inside was released. Based on this information and general impression of the lyrical themes, the ballad is a song about losing someone who meant the world to you, and how your love for them keeps you connected to them. The song explores the idea that we as people have to let go of people in order to move forward in life. However, because they were a big influence in our lives, a little piece of them will forever be with us. I like to think of it like the lost of a significant other, be it a break up or their sudden passing: though they are not in your life anymore, they meant a lot to you, and you will never forget them.   

With that said, I feel like this song only sort of captures that emotion. Right at the beginning, the piano intro catches your attention. It is simple, yet beautiful at the same time. Soon, the sound of swooping strings and guitars come in, and a lot of emotions start to come through. However, by the song’s second verse, a lot of the emotion of the song gets bogged down by its production. The drums and guitars are powerful, which makes a lot of the sensitivity in the beginning of the song to become lost in the song’s overall sound. However, I could see it as how our emotions about giving someone up can be powerful, so it sort of makes some sense.

Tiffany’s vocals on this song are only okay to me. While her voice has matured a bit from “I Think We’re Alone Now,” it has not matured to the point where she should sing a song like this. I feel like Tiffany’s voice does not sound like a person who has gone through a lot of heartbreak or lost in her life. There are brilliant moments where her vocals are filled with pain and heartbreak, such as the first verse and chorus, but that emotion gets lost in the latter parts of the song.

Despite some of the vocals and over-produced instrumental parts, I kind of like this song. When the music and vocals parts work, they really work and they really capture the emotions one has when having to say good bye to someone they loved. While the song does have some overproduced sections, it does not complete take away from the message of the song.


So now that we look at Tiffany’s original version, let us look at how Scorpions took “Here in My Heart” and made it their own.


The Cover Version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cGnXjKTHug
(Follow the Link Above)

This version is really beautiful and heartfelt. The orchestra blends beautiful with the Scorpions sound, creating a power rock ballad filled with emotion and depth. The issues of the instrumental parts in the Tiffany version are nowhere to be found in this version. The orchestra plays with enough subtlety and power they are heard, and the guitar and drum parts are not overpowering the orchestra. The highlight of the instrumental parts in the Scorpions version is the acoustic guitar solo after the interlude verse. This original component is sweet sounding, and does a great job serving as breather before entering the final choruses of the song.

What really makes this song amazing is the duet singing of Klaus Meine and Lyn Liechty. This version of “Here in My Heart” feels more like a break-up song than a reflective ballad of a lost love, and it only works that well here because of how complimentary Meine’s vocals and Liechty’s vocals are towards each other. The emotional maturity in both of their vocals can be heard, and I personally feel more invested in this sadness of lost love than I was in the Tiffany version. Lyn’s vocals are just hauntingly beautiful here, and Klaus has the sound of an old soul who has seen his share of pain in his lifetime.


THE WINNER:
This is one of those songs that I feel like that it could be amazing no matter who is singing it, and I think both version of “Here in My Heart” are really good. Tiffany’s version is emotional and reflective, but it is bogged down by some overly-produced instrumental parts. The Scorpions version is full of regret and acceptance of lost love, and but also glad that love has happened, and perhaps one day it will come back again someday. The Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra performed spectacularly with the band, and really adds a lot to the song.

Having seen or been a part of a lot of heartbreak in my life, I feel more emotionally invested in the Scorpions version of the song. The music is better produced, and I feel the emotion and wisdom heard in Meine’s and Liechty’s vocals. If Tiffany had released this song later on in her career, I could feel more emotionally invested in her lost and hope for love. But, I have to be fair to what I think is better, so I give this Cover Wars battle to Scorpions’ version of “Here in My Heart.”

WINNER: Scorpions

Well, that brings as to the end of another Rave Up Music post, and to be honest, I am really digging the orchestral rock stuff that I think we need to keep this going for next time. Tune in next time as we get some symphonic metal…of sorts…in A Little Slice of Metal. Until then, I am Barius, and I wish you and your loved ones a good day, and as always, keep on rockin’.


NOTE: All material and media featured in this blog are owned by their respected copyright holders, and are only used for purposes of review, commentary and satire under the terms of Fair Use. Please support the official release of all media used in this review.



No comments:

Post a Comment